The FAQs at my site fall into a couple natural groups. First, there's the plain old Transformers FAQ which is my main focus. The last complete version is very out of date -- I completed it in January of 1999 -- but I am posting new sections of an update FAQ as I complete them. Then there is a group of Newsgroup FAQs that are dedicated, one each, to the various Transformers newsgroups on Usenet. And, there's some Specialized FAQs about specific sub-topics like a particular line, or a certain type of toy.
Steve-o's Transformers FAQ
This document addresses all aspects of the fandom and all incarnations of the Transformers franchise up to the date of its writing The FAQ is written and maintained by me, Steve-o (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The New FAQ
The FAQ is being posted in pieces as it gets written. It is a web-based document, not plain text. You can read it here: http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~sstoneb/tf/faq/.
The Old FAQ
Because this current FAQ is incomplete, you might want to read a finished, albeit very outdated version. The most "recent" complete edition of the FAQ is from January 1999. This was shortly before we learned the title "Beast Machines" for the followup to "Beast Wars". In other words, it is really, really out of date. Still, much of the factual information in it is still considered to be factual, so... here you go:
You can get the old FAQ in several formats. The simplest way to go, as always, is plain text. If you'd like something fancier, though, there is a version in HTML and even a Windows Helpfile which were painstakingly crafted by other fans.
- old FAQ, plain text format: tffaq.txt, about 310 KB
- old FAQ, hypertext format:
- prepared by George Hong (George.Hong@efi.com)
- old FAQ, windows helpfile format (zipped):
tffaq.zip, about 460 KB
- prepared by Prowl/Perceptor15
There are short FAQs (or FAQlike things) for each TF newsgroup. These FAQs do not answer story or toy questions, like "where does Prime's trailer go when he transforms?" or "why did the plastic on my Jetfire turn yellow?". That kind of stuff is found in the TF FAQ. These documents serve as guides to reading and posting in their specified newsgroups. Inside you may find such things as ng charters, posting policies, and codes of conduct.
It is strongly recommended that before you begin posting messages to a newsgroup you read the TF FAQ and the ng FAQ for the group you plan to participate in. This is just as important for the non-moderated ngs as it is for the moderated ones; only difference is that no one can officially spank you for breaking the rules in a non-mod group. ^_^
- Alt.Toys.Transformers - Original TF newsgroup, for all TF talk
- Alt.Toys.Transformers.Fanfic - For TF fanfic
- Alt.Toys.Transformers.Marketplace - For TF sales and trades
- Alt.Toys.Transformers.Classic.Moderated - Classic TF talk
- Rec.Toys.Transformers.Marketplace - For TF sales and trades
- Rec.Toys.Transformers.Moderated - For all TF talk
Other FAQs and FAQlets
There's a lot of Transformers information around besides the main FAQ and the Newsgroup FAQs. Here are all of the other TF-related FAQs and mini-FAQs that I am aware of. At least, the ones that come in small, self-contained documents. For other basic TF info, like toy lists and episode guides, check out my TF link list.
- How To Win Friends and Influence ATT, by H. Jameel al Khafiz
- Robots In Disguise FAQ v2.5, by Zobovor
- Beast Wars FAQ v7.0 (in Adobe Acrobat PDF format), by Ben "Wonko the Sane" Yee
- MicroFAQ v1.2, the MicroTransformers FAQ, by Nate "Techrat" Crocker
- FAQlet: The Blue Bluestreak is a Myth!, by Burt Ward
- World's Worst FanFic FAQ, by Picard42
- TF Pseudoscience